UN Global Compact
The United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) is the world's largest corporate sustainability initiative. ETSA has been a member of UNGC since 2007 and is proud to reconfirm, through its fourth communication on engagement, that it remains committed to the 10 principles of Global Compact. This communication is an opportunity for us to share how active ETSA as an association, and its member companies as leading European service providers are, in addressing the social, environmental and economic aspects of sustainability and corporate responsibility.
Statement of support
ETSA is committed to the UNGC principles on human rights, labour laws, environmental protection and corruption in business. As the voice of the textile services industry in Europe, ETSA represents companies for whom sustainability and corporate responsibility are corner stones of their business strategy and company profitability.
Five ETSA member companies are members of UNGC in their own right, alongside our own association. This includes three textile rental firms (Berendsen, CWS-boco and Elis), a detergent supplier (Ecolab) and one other national association (Wirtex).
The UN Global Compact's 10 principles
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
- Principle 2: And they should make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- Principle 4: They should uphold the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour.
- Principle 5: They should uphold the effective abolition of child labour.
- Principle 6: And they should uphold the elimination of discrimination in respect to employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- Principle 8: They should undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- Principle 9: And they should encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against all forms of corruption, including extortion and bribery.
ETSA press release on Communication on Engagement with UN Global Compact (9 languages)